Tuesday, October 13, 2020

About This Blog

I started this blog because I have had enough with abusive web forum moderators. I wanted a place to vent and point out some of the absurdities that we, as forum visitors, are sometimes subjected to with effectively no recourse.

For now, most of my posts are in regard to the Elite Dangerous forums. There, the moderation is some of the worst I have ever seen. Fortunately, it is quite easy to create new accounts on their official site (I have had more than I can count) so it is a never ending fount of moderation absurdity.

Why do I keep creating new Elite Dangerous forum posts? This is why:

When I first tried to create an account for the Elite Dangerous forums my account was permanently banned within 24 hours after account creation for "spam".

Now, this was my first account. I had not made any posts or threads at that time so there was no way I was "spamming". All I had done by that point was "like" a few comments made by other forum users.

I contacted Frontier's Customer Support and asked what was going on and they said that it was because my IP address was changing. I realized that the IP address was changing because I use a VPN. CS said, 'yes, that is a limitation of our software. You need to create an account and not use the VPN'.

So I turned off the VPN and tried to log in. I couldn't, of course, because my account had been banned. So I created a new account like CS said I needed to do. Within a day that new account was permanently banned for "duplicate accounts are not allowed"!

Nice Catch-22 FDev!

I followed up with CS but they said that 'yes, duplicate accounts are not allowed'; there is nothing we can do'. 

So here I am, creating new accounts right and left, some of which get banned within a few days and some which last for months.

NB: Incidentally, I am very well aware of the methods Frontier uses to identify duplicate accounts. Let's just say they are easy to bypass. The reason why they catch me (sometimes quickly) is because I make it too obvious it is me who is making the account (because I tend to go back into a discussion I was previously taking part in and saying the same things I was saying before). For the accounts that I keep for months undetected it is because I do something that "deserves" a ban because I think it is worth it (like when I pointed out the hypocrisy and agenda of some moderators).

============================

If you have some juicy forum moderation abuse tales to tell, please feel free to send them to me. I might post them here!

Send to me via my email (be sure to remove the "nospam_" bit from my email address):

  • All of the textual context, 
  • Images (be sure to obscure all names and maintain people's privacy),
  • The name of the game and publisher, 
  • How you want your attribution\credit to appear,
  • Anything else you deem relevant.

No comments:

Post a Comment